Today around 8:00 MST Apple posted the 2.1 update as promised. For this update Apple actually listed some of the things that were to be fixed which include:
- Decrease in call set-up failures and dropped calls
- Significantly better battery life for most users
- Dramatically reduced time to backup to iTunes
- Improved email reliability, notably fetching email from POP and Exchange accounts
- Faster installation of 3rd party applications
- Fixed bugs causing hangs and crashes for users with lots of third party applications
- Improved performance in text messaging
- Faster loading and searching of contacts
- Improved accuracy of the 3G signal strength display
- Repeat alert up to two additional times for incoming text messages
- Option to wipe data after ten failed passcode attempts
- Genius playlist creation
I’ve had the update on my phone now for a little over an hour and can say I have noticed some of the changes. I have really enjoyed my iPhone and haven’t seemed to have most of the problems other users have had. I have noticed with the update that my email does check a lot faster. I have 4 email accounts and it used to take a couple of minutes for mail to check them all. Now it is a matter of seconds. The other big improvement I have noticed is with syncing. Some people have been reporting it taking hours to sync. I never had that problem. I would say for me the longest was about 20 minutes. However the new update after the 1st initial sync it appears to only take a few seconds if nothing has changed between phone and computer.
So far all looks good. I’ll report on more once I have a little more experience with the update.