WordPress Twenty Ten Theme

In WordPress 3.0 it includes a new default theme called Twenty Ten. The default isn’t too much to look at, but the really nice thing about it, is the ability to now easily change the header image and background images via menus and not having to edit any code. I decided to give it a try with a new header inspired heavily by my previous theme. The results I think are pretty good and do a great job for someone that doesn’t want to edit files to customize a theme. Here are some screen shots of the new process

And here is a comparison of the old default theme and the new. This is what you get without any alternation. The new theme is a good improvement over the old.

Multiple Domain Install with WordPress 3.0

Here’s another geeky post, but I am so happy with the results I wanted to document the steps. Okay so in my previous post I set up subdomain wordpress installs, so for example I put my Star Wars collecting site on starwars.kemple.us and what I was doing before was forwarding my domain www.powerofthetoys.com to that address. Well, I found out of a new dynamic dns website that allows the first 5 sites free. I’ve been paying $25 a year for this same service on kemple.us with noip.com. So here are the steps that I used to get starwars.kemple.us to powerofthetoys.com
Continue reading

WordPress 3.0 Multisite Install

With the looming update of WordPress 3.0 coming out any day now, I decided to upgrade to Release Candidate 1 yesterday. After several hours, database tweaking, and moving some files, I finally have all my blog sites running under one install of WordPress 3.0. One of the new features of 3.0 is being able to control several WordPress sites from one install. This makes it really easy when a new version comes out as you only have to upgrade once and all your sites are on the new version. This was available previously in a branch of WordPress called wordpressmu, but I didn’t find out about it until after I had other sites setup and didn’t want to mess with it. WordPress 3.0 adds this feature to the main program. I figured it was a good time as any to take the time to figure it out. For the most part everything worked, but I did have a few snags on the way. I figured I would document the process for anyone else wanting to do the same thing, so now on to the nerdy stuff.
Continue reading

Ubuntu 10.04 Upgrade Nightmare

A couple weeks ago I noticed Ubuntu 10.04 had been released. I didn’t take notice until last week that it was a new LTS (Long Term Support) release which gets 5 years of updates unlike the normal bi yearly releases. I figured it was a good time to upgrade then. I first tried a work server and the upgrade was pretty much flawless. I had hoped it to be the same at home. The upgrade on my home server completed without any errors, but the problem happened after the reboot. The system hung on the starting up screen and gave no indication to any error whatsoever. I messed around with Grub a bit, but still couldn’t get the system to boot.

The only thing I could think of that might have been a problem was my raid 1 configuration of my hard drives using mdadm. I looked into it and sure enough others had similar issues even with older distributions after an upgrade. After roughly 3 or 4 hours, of trying to find a way around it and being able to get my system to boot again, I gave up. I decided I might as well go ahead and do a clean install of 10.04. At least this would let me clean up the system a bit.

The first thing I did was get all of my files onto an external hard drive. I did this by using a Ubuntu Live CD, so I had basically 0 data loss. I then booted up the Ubuntu server disc, erased and reset up my raid, and installed like normal. The system booted up just fine. Over the last 3 days, I’ve been reconfiguring everything and I pretty much have all my websites operational again. I still have a few things to set up behind the scenes, but for the most part everything is back to how it should be.

The whole thing has been a headache, but hopefully I’m good again for a few more years.

Reporting from CES 2010

I’m sure some have noticed the little audio clip tests that have appeared and disappeared over the last couple of days. I’ve been testing some audio blogging software that I thought would be a fun way to report my findings at CES this year. I’ve tested 3 in particular which also have iphone apps called: cinch, audioboo, and ipadio. The apps allow you to make a recording with your iphone and upload it to their site. They also offer the option to embed the clip onto your own site or blog. The main problem I found is that none of the apps give you the embed code. I thought it would be just a matter of making the audio clip, copying the embed code from the app. and then pasting it into my wordpress app to make a new post.

I found the only way to get the embed code is to log in to each companies respective website and navigate to the clip that way, which is cumbersome with a mobile phone web browser. The one that seems to offer the most functionality is ipadio. They actually support posting to several blog websites and even include wordpress.com blogs, but they do not offer anything yet for self hosted wordpress sites. Hopefully that will come.

The best makeshift solution I found was to use ipadio and have it automatically post to the Twitter account that I never used. I then installed the Twitter Tools plugin for wordpress in which it will automatically create a post when a new tweet shows up. The tweets only give a link to the audio on the ipadio website, so I still don’t get the clips embedded, but I think this will be the best option as I don’t want to spend all this time at the show trying to get the embed code for each clip.