Getting WordPress Autoupgrade to Work

Back when WordPress 2.7 was first released, I was excited about the new autoupgrade feature. Basically it upgrades your site with the click of a button to the latest version of wordpress. However, it always failed when I would try it out, so I’ve been doing it the old fashioned way of either sftp or through terminal. The closest I got was this fix that I found which at least made it so I could upgrade/install plugins with one click.

Today I decided to see if anyone documented how to get this nifty feature working and I finally found it! The fix is way too simple that I should have thought of it on my own. I thought it was most likely a permissions issue. Basically, the wordpress files have to be owned by the user that runs apache. In most cases I believe this would be www-data at least I know it is on Ubuntu. 😉 So all you need to do is change the owner of the files/directories of your wordpress install. This example would be if you had your wordpress install in the www root in ubuntu.

sudo chown -R www-data:www-data /var/www/

or if you had it in a sub directory called wordpress you would just do

sudo chown -R www-data:www-data /var/www/wordpress/

This changes the owner and group to www-data to all the files and sub folders in the specified directory. After making that change, the upgrade process now works and the plugins install/upgrade too.

WordPress 2.9.1 should be out in the next day or two and I’m looking forward to a one click upgrade.

Port 25 Blocked!

My new internet provider decided to block port 25 on me. This is the port used for email which I need for when people sign up for the site and for server admin emails. Luckily, I found a way around this and thought I would share what I did. The basic idea is to send email through a gmail account using port 587 and then changing the incoming port to a custom one which will receive email from another service.

The first thing I did was remove and reinstall postfix just to start with a clean installation. Here are the steps taken from the Ubuntu Server Guide

Continue reading

The Story

Exactly a week ago I tried to contact Broadweave/iProvo that offers fiber optic internet in the area as that was what I had before with MSTAR. I sent them a message through their website and it mentioned being contacted within 24 hours. The next day i did not hear from them, so I tried to call and got a voicemail message. I left a message and didn’t get a call back until the next week.

Next I decided to just try for internet through Comcast. Their connection speed is a little slower, but I figured they would be easier to get setup with. The place we moved to already provides T.V. service with them. I tried to check out on their website and it was supposed to have an option of allowing me to install it myself or having someone else do it. I knew I could set it up myself and already had a cable modem. Needless to say I only got the option for professional installation on checkout and the fee was $100. I started an online chat with their customer service and told them the situation. They finally said, that because the t.v. service is under a bulk contract for the complex, that I needed to speak with the person who takes care of that.

The next day I call the guy who handles the t.v. service and he told me they didn’t know what they were talking about and that all the other people in the complex have set up their own accounts for with Comcast for internet. He gave me the account number for the bulk contract so they could look it up for me. I call and tell them the situation and then they finally say they can hook me up, but the monthly fee will be $53. By going through the website is was going to be $19.99 for the first six months and then go up to $42, so it seemed ridiculous to me that the same service was $10 more because I called in.
Continue reading